Loebesiden.dk • Vis emne - Implemented SPAM filter

Implemented SPAM filter

Implemented SPAM filter

Indlægaf davide » tors 04 okt, 2018 19:31

Hello,

as I was requested, I implemented strong anti-spam measures on the forum. These are divided in two types:

1) IP address threat score control: whenever a client posts a new message or topic, before the post is registered into the forum database, the client's IP address is checked for its threat level by querying a collaborative anti-spam filter named Project Honeypot. This is the most powerful anti-spam system I'm aware of. Unlike a captcha puzzle that users need to solve, this system is invisible to users and works fully in background.

2) web links rendered non-clickable: as requested, all posted links are now non-clickable, rendering spam less effective. This change affects only new posts, while old ones will maintain clickable links. However, I don't expect automated spambots to be a concern from now on.

I also deleted ~7000 spam posts, mostly from the "Marathon & halvmaraton" subforum.

I'm subscribed to this topic in case of questions.
davide

Re: Implemented SPAM filter

Indlægaf davide » fre 05 okt, 2018 19:42

Update:

I noticed that today, two additional spam messages were posted on the forum. This implies that the Project Honeypot filter is blocking the bulk of the spambots, yet a few still manage to slip thru. For this reason I added an additional spam filter, the Google reCaptcha checkbox, which guards the account registration page.

Now, in order to spam the forum, a spambot must cross two barriers: the Google reCaptcha when it registers its account, and the Project Honeypot when it wants to post a message. It's not conceivable that a bot can pass both; we'll see.

Meanwhile, there are some old spambot accounts which already registered on the forum before I added the Google reCaptcha; while these bots are being barred from posting by the Project Honeypot, they are not also barred from registering their account. It is possible that these old accounts will occasionally succeed to post spam. However, once these accounts are manually banned or deleted, they will be barred from registering again.
davide

Indlægaf hjkiddk » lør 06 okt, 2018 11:55

Nice job. Hate spam.

Any way to remove the spam from the "latest reply" on the front page loebesiden.dk
hjkiddk

Indlægaf davide » lør 06 okt, 2018 13:27

The homepage is generated by a software named Wordpress, and its integration with this forum is broken. If you follow the spam links from the homepage, you'll see that those posts don't exist anymore, as they were deleted, but the deletion didn't propagate back to Wordpress. Moreover, new topics posted on the forum don't propagate back to the homepage. As I explained to the admins, it appears that about a month ago the website suffered major software damages while some maintenance was being done. A time-consuming and expensive overhaul of the WP integration will need to be done.
davide

Indlægaf Teddy » man 08 okt, 2018 22:01

Er det ikke et dansk løbesite det her?

Hvornår kommer der en præsentation af den nye ejer af siden?
Teddy

Geografisk sted: Lyngby

Indlægaf davide » ons 17 okt, 2018 16:46

While I've lost all contact with the admins, I still kept monitoring the forum for spam.

Despite the two antispam filters, seldom spam till occurs, approximately at a rate of one message every two days.
The most probable reason for these spam posts to pass the filters is that the spammers are human rather than bots. Larger forums are known to be targeted by cheap-labor Asians for manually posting spam and for solving captchas by employing payed human solvers, using services like 2captcha.com (https://2captcha.com/), which pays a fat $0.50 every 1000 solved captchas. Yes, some persons choose this work.

There is no cure to manual spamming, but luckily it won't be much, as it costs money to the spammers to pass the antispam filters.
davide

Tilbage til Kommentarer til webmaster